[esp-r] Proposed development of window shading models

Bart Lomanowski blomanow at engmail.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 12 03:29:11 GMT 2007

Hello All,

I am a Master’s student at the Solar Thermal Research Lab at the University of
Waterloo. Our group has developed window shading models focusing on the
accurate treatment of venetian blinds in glazing systems.

The models essentially extend a standard center-glass glazing analysis to add
venetian blinds of arbitrary geometry, slat angle and position within the
glazing system. The analysis is based on calculating spatially averaged, or
effective solar optical and longwave properties for a shading layer given a
specific geometry and slat surface reflectance. A multi-layer solar optical
analysis determines the absorbed, transmitted and reflected components of
incident beam (off-normal) and diffuse solar radiation. Next, a heat transfer
analysis, including the absorbed solar radiation terms, determines all the
radiative and convective fluxes and layer temperatures. A convection
correlation has been developed for a between-the-panes venetian blind.

Proposed ESP-r development:
The development, still in the early stages, aims to create an “advanced glazing
systems” facility giving the user the freedom to specify any glazing/shading
arrangement . The optical properties for glazing/shading systems would be
calculated based on the insolation data per time-step, allowing for accurate
solar energy accounting. Convective and radiative heat transfer across air gaps
would be treated in more detail than the current air gap resistance
approach.

These models will pave way for the development of intelligent automated blind
systems.

The method of implementation is still in the early stages so there is still
uncertainty about code interventions at this time. I anticipate that the
subroutines MZSLGN, MZCOE1 and MZSETU will require extensive work, however, the
plan is to create new subroutines for handling advanced glazing systems.

I look forward to discussions on the subject.

Regards,
Bart Lomanowski