[esp-r] Re: ESP-r on intel-based mac

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 14:02:14 GMT 2007

A recent question about ESP-r on an intel-based mac....

> would like to know if the osx version of esp-r runs on an intel-
> based mac.  I`ve been trying to install it under X11 with no luck.
> Is it better to install it under Windows via Boot Camp.

There is no pre-compiled version of ESP-r for intel-based macs for
the simple reason
that ESRU do not have access to such a machine.

Conceptually, it should be possible to compile a mind-boggling fast
implementation of either the X11 or GTK based versions of ESP-r on an
intel-based mac via the same set of tools that are available on the mac
and which can be downloaded for free from the web.  Note that the
code will not take advantage of the dual processors directly.

The download page includes some notes about the requirements
(e.g. fink and the GCC 3.3 compiler collection and the GTK related
libraries and headers.  The GCC version 4.0 that comes with
OS X 10.4 has not passed the testing we do on ESP-r and we
recommend the older GCC compiler.

Running dual-boot and having the native Windows version running
is an untested option. Probably would work but since ESP-r
runs so smoothly on the PPC compiled natively one would speculate
that a native compile would have several advantages.

Anyone out there who has any experience with an Intel-Mac
compile we would love to hear from you.

-ESRU