[esp-r] Re: g-value analysis

Pueltz, Gunter Gunter.Pueltz at MuellerBBM.de
Thu Feb 1 11:02:15 GMT 2007

Jon,

you are right that the g-value is defined in EN 410 - but only
for GLAZINGS and NORMAL incidence of solar radiation !!!!!!
This restricted definition is not valid for a complete facade
and different incident angles.

The g-value can also be defined more commonly for the complete
facade (which means for the combination of glazing AND shading)
as the ratio from external incident solar radiation to internal
solar heat gain in the room. You can take a look on these
definitions in EN 13363-2 or - most accurate - in ISO 15099.
As the sun azimut and elevation varies during day, the g-value
varies also of course.
As I mailed to ESRU some years ago I think it would be helpfull,
if ESP-r would have an additional output parameter: The time row
for the variable g-value (commonly defined as ratio of incident
solar radiation to internal heat gain (= sum of solar radiation
transmission and convective and radiative heat flux into the room))
for each glazing in the simulation model.

-Gunter