[esp-r] Re: Modeling of clothing textile... using esp-r?

D. Fiala dfiala at fbta.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Jan 18 11:47:00 GMT 2007

Dear Denis,
I think models of human thermoregulation specifically developed to
predict human thermal behaviours and validated using appropriate
physiological data would better do the job you have in mind rather than
using a building simulation program. In human heat transfer, heat
conduction in the tissue (walls in esp-r) is a rather minor effect
compared e.g. to blood circulation and thermoregulatory adjustments of
the metabolic rates, skin blood flows, and moisture mass production (my
experience of over 15 years in human thermal modelling). Here, esp-r
might not be appropriate to model these effects (not mentioning e.g. the
human body specific surface convection coefficients, etc.)

Coupled CFD-human physiology models as raised by Jianlei are certainly
the 'cutting edge' in current thermal comfort modelling research. We at
Uni Karlsruhe (together with DMU - both are European groups) are
currently involved in modelling in detail the driving forces due to
human occupancy in naturally ventilated buildings by coupling our model
of human heat transfer and thermal comfort with CFD. If detailed CFD
simulation was an 'overkill' for your purposes a link/coupling with
tools like a building simulation program predicting reliably (but with
less detail) the environmental conditions surrounding human occupants
might be the better choice for you (we did that sort of 'coupling' some
time ago by linking our dynamic model of human physiology and comfort
with esp-r).

Best regards
Dusan Fiala