[esp-r] Modeling of clothing textile... using esp-r?

Denis Constales Denis.Constales at UGent.be
Wed Jan 17 10:36:24 GMT 2007

Dear All,

I've just attended a presentation on the modeling of clothing
textiles (e.g. for firemen, or for use in foul weather, or for
certain patients who are unable to maintain proper body temperature,
etc.) and I was struck by the analogy with building simulation: it's
a matter of getting the heat, moisture and ventilation aspects
analyzed, while taking into account active components such as the
human body's "thermostat" set at 37 degrees Celsius, with the purpose
of ensuring comfort and maybe optimizing cost or other factors.

Now if one were to model roughly a human body like a robot built out
of blocks, and if instead of wall layer data one were to use the
thermal etc. characteristics of given textile layers, quite useful
results might be obtained using esp-r for the textile industry (of
course on a time scale of simulated minutes rather than days as it is
now).

My question: have people already been doing this? Would the
developers of esp-r be interested in, say, "modding" their code into
such a textile simulation package? It's not for charity, there are
European projects riding on these issues (for submission in April, I
understand). If there is interest, please tell me and I'll make sure
the people who need this will contact you. Thanks in advance, D.C.
--
Denis Constales