[esp-r] Re: New User

Gunnar Thöle thoele at ifc-collegen.de
Tue Jan 9 10:08:04 GMT 2007

amgad aly schrieb:
> Dear All,
> As an architect and a new user trying to go through
> the ESP-r program,
> I would ask if any can explain the exact meaning for
> the connection types, that are found when inquiring
> the topology tool,
Well, i'll try to explain a bit.
First, what the connection types are used for.

When creating a building model, you'll need to tell the simulator about
the state of the environment on both sides of a wall. The inside of the
wall is in a room. You don't need to tell the simulator anything about
it because that's what a simulator should calculate...
But you need to tell it about the outside of walls.
This is of course necessary so it can compute heat flux, radiation
exchange through the wall etc.
For walls where both sides are inside the building the simulator can
figure it out on its own, but for walls facing the outside you have to
tell it about the outside using the connection options.

People, please correct me if i'm wrong here:
> exterior
Choosing this option makes your wall an exterior wall. Conditions are
taken from the climate file (temperature, sun etc.)
Usage of this should be obvious.

> dynamic (similar) boundary
This sets the outside of the wall to be the same as the inside. (Like
the wall wouldn't exist at all)
You can use this when simulating only one in a row of rooms where each
room has similar conditions.

> static boundary conditions
Asks you for a fixed temperature etc., which stays constant over the
simulation period.

> ground (standard profile)
> ground (user defined profile)
> ground 3d (conduction)
This is for floors and cellars. It lets you embed your wall into the ground.
The profiles are temperature profiles defining ground temperature for
each month. There are a variety of standard profiles pre-defined and you
can make your own. (Climate files don't have ground temperature data,
therefore you'll need to supply it in these options)
The 3d thingy is unknown to me.

> adiabatic (no heat flux)
This already says everything...

> basesimp foundation
> cen1379 (partition)
I don't know these.
Browsing through the mailing list archives i found this link describing
BASESIMP:
http://lists.strath.ac.uk/archives/esp-r/2006/000176.html

Hope this helps,
Gunnar