[esp-r] Re: Documentation for 3D ground modeling?

Ferguson, Alex AFerguso at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Dec 7 13:07:25 GMT 2006

Hi Florian,

ESP-r includes the BASESIMP module, which uses correlations derived from
three-dimensional analysis of foundation heat loss to predict ground
coupling heat transfer. In comparison to a traditional finite-element
model, BASESIMP is much easier to configure and may meet your
requirements provided i) your building uses one of the 67 different
residential foundation systems for which BASESIMP correlations have been
derived, and ii) the longest dimension of your foundation does not
exceed 12 meters.

You can learn more about the theoretical basis of BASESIMP here:

http://www.hvac.okstate.edu/pdfs/bs97/papers/P051.PDF

If BASESIMP is not suitable for your study, you may wish to use ESP-r's
integral three-dimensional analysis module. The theoretical basis of
this module is described in Abdul Nakhi's thesis:

ftp://ftp.strath.ac.uk/Esru_public/documents/PhD/nakhi_thesis.pdf

Good Luck.

- Alex