[esp-r] By popular demand - ESP-r native windows installer for a D drive - BETA testers requested

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 8 17:37:11 GMT 2006

Over the last few weeks we have had dozens of responses to our BETA
testing of the one click native windows ESP-r installer.  As a result :
  a) several of the exemplar models have been fixed
  b) the results analysis module tends to start up and open files
correctly for models
      which are in folders with spaces.
  c) Also images embedded in models also display when there are spaces
      in the folder names.
  d) Export of text data from the results module produces a file (so
it is not
     necessary to cut and paste from the text feedback buffer.

Several people stated that they would really like to have an installer
which puts ESP-r in the D dirve. So, we tried it and (shockingly) it
seems to be
working almost as good as the standard C drive.

And there is so much to look at and review that we are looking for
volunteers
to try the D drive installer (if you don't have a D drive you can sit
this one out).

For those who already have the C drive version:

Probably if you should uninstall the older version before doing tthe
D drive
version and you might need to have a look at your PATH envirnment
variable to see that it includes D:\Esru rather than C:\Esru.  Also
any models which you played around with will probably point to
databases in C:\Esru\esp-r\databases and climate files
in C:\Esru\esp-r\climate and they really should point to the D drive.

For those of you who do not already have ESP-r on your machine
there seems to be no preparation required.

The questions are basically the same as earlier:

a) did the installer run  [ yes no]

b) where the messages in the installer helpful [ yes no suggestions....]

c) were the steps clear [ yes no suggestions...]

d) did it create the folders it should have (D:\Esru and C:\GTK)
[ yes no ]

e) did it correctly patch the 'path' variable [ yes no]

     for those with a previous version what happened to the path
variable?

f) was it possible to startup ESP-r from the desktop icon [ yes no ]

    was a desktop icon created [ yes no ]

g) was it possible to 'own' one of the exemplar models - and
    where did it xcopy the files to and was it possible to open
    that model after it was copied and/or click on a cfg file and
    start up the project manager focused on that model  [ yes no sort-
of ]

h) if you use Windows explorer to copy and past a model to another
     location on your machine can you click on the cfg file within the
    model cfg folder and have the project manager startup [ yes no
sort-of ]

i) if you are a guru at Inno Setup or ISTool and know how to make the
    installer work better please feel free to make suggestions. We would
    be happy to share the 'iss' file because we can't get it to make
a startup
    menu entry for ESP-r!

j) what was the machine type [   ], OS [   ], memory [  MB], disk
space [  GB]
    you tested the installer on.

THE USUAL DISCLAIMER....

Because it is a BETA installer there is a risk that ESP-r
will not work on a particular machine/OS combination.
Of course volunteers will backup any working version of ESp-r
on their test machines ;-)

Regards, Jon Hand