[esp-r] Fw: Modelling Phase Change Materials

Dariusz Heim dariusz.heim at p.lodz.pl
Sat Oct 28 09:55:01 BST 2006

Hallo Nuno,

About the first part of your e-mail, you must be right. For PCM I still use my old version

from 2001. During the later modifications ESRU must done some small changes in the

code. Thank you for your discovery where the bug is. I try to change it for the new release.

About the second part of your e-mail, I am not sure if I understand you well. In multilayer

construction database it is necessary to define the partition, like wall, floor etc. On of the

layer in that construction should be defined like a PCM composite. However on the level of

multicon dbs you define it as a ordinary material (gypsum, concrete, ceramic) with

corresponding sensible heat. The latent properties of the material you defined in spm file.

The discretization (the thickness of the layer or division the pcm into more layers) effects

on the accuracy of temperature distribution inside the construction. >From the energy point

of view it is less important.

As far as I know in ESP-r the finite differences method allowed to define each layer of the

construction with three nodes. One middle node and two boundary nodes. The idea was

similar to the PV modelling which was developed by Nick Kelly from Strathclyde in 1998.

Please, look at his PhD Thesis which must be available on the web side:

http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/

and than Books and PhD Thesis. There is a detailed description how the "material properties

substitution" works.

I will be very happy, if you have additional questions or comments.

with the best regards,

Darek