[esp-r] Re: Simulating solar sewage drying

esp-r at h-rd.org esp-r at h-rd.org
Fri Oct 20 09:33:26 BST 2006

Dear Oliver,

When trying to simulate drying in an enclosure, a very important aspect is the
ventilation regime.  Basically you need to know the humidity of the air in order
to calculate the evaporation.  That in turn requires a coupling with a flow
solver.  Naturally you need to calculate the radiation, too.
Also the properties of the sludge are very important:  the albedo, if it is
stirred or not, and other physical properties.

In designing such a system, I think you would need to consult with an expert on
the issue of sludge drying.  There are different specific models available,
although I do not know if they apply to your specific situation.

If you just want to model the mass of water to be extracted, you could try a
simple approach, calculating the potential evaporation, assuming "perfect"
ventilation and water like properties for the sludge.  Obviously such a model
would be valid only approximately for very wet sludge.  From the above it is
clear that I think it is not sufficient to use only weather and construction as
inputs.

yours sincerely,

Marc Hoffmann
esp-r at h-rd.org