[esp-r] Re: convective heat transfer coefficients in ESP -r

Vítor Leal vleal at fe.up.pt
Fri Sep 15 14:15:57 BST 2006

Dear Gunter & All,

It was me who put the vertical heat channel, buoyancy-flow correlations
into ESP-r (incl. the Bar-Cohen & Rohsenow correlation). All those
correlations depart from the channel wall temperatures, then go to
Rayleigh number(s), then to Nusselt and wall convection coefficient
values.  The air velocity is dynamically calculated as function of the
glazing temperature, which then influences the glazing temperature.

I used/developed them for air gaps of a naturally ventilated window,
with gaps of 2 and 4 cm.

I haven't looked at the latest versions of ESP-r, but I guess that it
shall be mostly unchanged in that part.

The details are in my thesis, at sections 2.3, 4.3 and chapter 6. It is
written in English and you can download it from:
http://paginas.fe.up.pt/~vleal

I recommend that you use small time steps (1 or 5 minute) time-steps if
you model this way.

Kind regards,
Vítor