[esp-r] Re: convective heat transfer coefficients in ESP -r

Burek, Stas S.Burek at gcal.ac.uk
Fri Sep 15 12:23:08 BST 2006

Dear Gunter

I presume that you're looking at a solar chimney or some sort of passive solar collector? We're doing work on exactly that. We have a paper recently published in Energy and Buildings, and we're doing some more work on the how height affects the flow rate and heat transfer.

If you look at the literature, there's plenty of it for buoyancy driven flow in a vertical channel. The problem is that there is very little that specifically reflects the conditions in a solar system - a lot of it refers to systems with symmetrical heating, or with an adiabatic 'cold' wall, or with a uniform wall temperature - none of these conditions occur in a solar system.

Also, if you're looking at flow within a channel, with the temperature rising both for the fluid and the channel walls, it's difficult to define a heat transfer coefficient. So far, we've analysed our (experimental) data to give a result for bulk flow and thermal efficiency, as a function of channel depth and heat input. Coming soon will be these as a function of the channel height, as well. Then we'll take a look at how the heat transfer coefficient varies over the height of the system.

Check out:

Air flow and thermal efficiency characteristics in solar chimneys and Trombe Walls  *
Energy and Buildings, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 17 August 2006,
S. A.M. Burek and A. Habeb

There are references to lots of previous work there as well.

Hope this might be useful

Thanks

Stas Burek

Dr. Stas Burek
School of the Built and Natural Environment
Glasgow Caledonian University
Cowcaddens Road
Glasgow G4 0BA
Scotland, UK