[esp-r] 2)Dummy-node scheme

Jake Zwart jake.zwart at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 13 14:10:46 BST 2006

And now my second question:

2) I am using the dummy node scheme for my window controls as follows:

I am implementing a control strategy for opening and closing window with two
separate controls in series.  The controls are:

1. When the indoor temperature exceeds a set temperature, say 20 C the
windows will open.
2. When the ambient temperature exceeds the indoor temperature, the dummy
windows
will close to prevent convective heating.

When I run the simulation and then do a results analysis, the dummy nodes
stay at a constant 20C (the temperature which I set the nodes to for the
start of the run).  Interestingly, although the dummy nodes stayed at a
constant 20C, the interior temperatures did drop below 20 C as a result of
(what looks like) ventilation.

Now, it seems to me that the dummy node should be a calculated node and not
following some other node temperature.  Say for example that the dummy
follows the ambient, then, when the dummy window is open but the window
between the dummy to outside is closed, the zone will still interact with
outside.  Now say that the dummy follows the interior node/zone temperature.
In this case when both windows are open, all incoming ventilation air will
be no help since it will be at the interior node/one temperature already.

How can I ensure that the dummy node is a calculated temperature and that
the dummy node scheme will work properly?

Thanks,

Andrew Zwart