[esp-r] Re: Bi-directional air flow component for VERTICAL air ex change

Pueltz, Gunter Gunter.Pueltz at MuellerBBM.de
Wed Sep 13 10:01:53 BST 2006

Very interesting discussion about the vertical air exchange of stacked zones
!

1) First I want to affirm Jan´s statement, that a bi-directional air flow
component
should NOT be used for vertical air exchange ! The bi-directional door
element
has been developed for verical elements like doors or windows, thus the
results
for vertical air exchange (i.e. skylights) would be absolutely meaningless
(or even wrong) !!!!

2) The interesting discussion shows however the strong requirement/needness
of a
bi-directional air-flow component for VERTICAL air flow exchange, which
always takes
place in an atrium or in a large open space over several floors ...
The physical phenomena, which drives the vertical air flow exchange in such
spaces
are also well known:

a) thermal instable stratification (means cold air above warm air), which
initiates the
so called "Raleigh-Bernard-convection" (= small eddys at the interface
between upper cold
and lower warm air); the intensity of this vertical air exchange rate is
depending on the
difference of air temperature at the upper/lower air flow node ...

b) boundary layers at vertical facades, which initiate an upward(warm) or
downward(cold) air
flow within the boundary layer; the intensity of this vertical air exchange
rate is depending
on the difference between node air temperature and the internal surface
temperature of the
adjacent surfaces ...

It would be a great enhancement of ESP -r, if an air flow component would be
developed for
the vertical air flow exchange, based on the two main driving physical
phenomena listed above.

Gunter

--
Dr. Gunter Pültz