[esp-r] Re: 1) Bi-directional Doors in Horiontal surfaces2)Dummy-nodescheme

Achim Geissler Achim.Geissler at josef-gartner.ch
Wed Sep 13 09:10:49 BST 2006

Hi Jake, Olli,
the height scheme always is a bit confusing. My understanding is different from Olli's, however:
zone  to exterior via skylight (node to node via component)
diff height -ve node to component & diff height component to +ve node
In the example this would lead to an entry in the .afn file something like
+Node         dHght   -Node         dHght   via Component
zone           1.5   ext.node        0.5     skylight

Leading to the height difference of 2 m between the nodes "zone" and "exterior" with the flow resistance "skylight 1.5 m above the zone node

So, in my understanding there would be no height difference in the from and to nodes in the way Olli gave it.

... lets see what ESRU has to say :^)

Anyway, I think Jake was looking for something else: I don't know if the door component will give meaningfull results when used "horizontally". However, for the atrium problem, why not define two components and link them with the top and bottom nodes in such a way that bypass flow (or flow in two directions) is possible? Generally, any atrium of appreciable size will need to be split in several zones, anyway, to model the stack effect.