[myplace-announce] Myplace Upgrade and Rollover for 2013-2014

learning-technologies learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 26 09:17:42 BST 2013

Myplace Upgrade June 2013 – Notice for University of Strathclyde Staff

Dear Colleague,

Following last Tuesday’s downtime from 6-8am, Myplace has now been successfully upgraded.

What does this mean for me?
New 2013-2014 classes have been created for the new academic year so that staff can prepare content in advance. Students will only have access to classes listed under the 2013-2014 tab once their registration for the new academic year is complete. Note that members of staff may leave class pages closed to students until the start of the academic year or until you are ready to release learning materials - all new 2013-2014 pages are closed to students by default.

Pages NOT connected with a registry class on Myplace, such as those for research groups or some degree programmes, will always appear on the latest version of Myplace, therefore will have been moved from 2012-2013 to 2013-2014. Please check under the 2013-2014 tab for any ‘missing’ classes and refer to the following information:
http://support.myplace.strath.ac.uk/?post_type=article&p=1729

New and improved Myplace features include the Notices tool now being able to target groups of students as well as individual classes, and changes to online assignments - please read about how online assignments have changed as we will be upgrading all old assignment types in 2013-2014 classes over the next 2 weeks.
http://support.myplace.strath.ac.uk/updates/2013/06/20/myplace-online-assignments-have-changed-at-the-university-of-strathclyde-for-2013-2014/

What’s next?
Unlike in previous years, where the look and feel of Myplace has changed significantly between academic years, we are aware that this year, class pages for 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 are very similar, despite the Myplace banner showing 2013-2014 at the top of the new pages for next year.  Therefore, we will be implemeting a temporary colour change for the new 2013-2014 pages so that it is more clear to users when they are in "next year's" version of Myplace.  This will be applied until the session change on 21 August 2013 when the current session will change on Myplace to 2013-2014.   There is scheduled downtime on that day to allow this to happen and further announcements will be made nearer the time.  We are also planning a separate period of downtime in July for essential maintenance.  We hope that it will be possible to complete this out of hours and will send a separate message once the date and time have been confirmed.

If you have any questions about Myplace or the upgrade and rollover, please contact us at any time.

Best Wishes

Caroline Breslin
Education Enhancement
University of Strathclyde
learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk<mailto:learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk>
X3770

Please note that student enquiries should be directed to the University of Strathclyde IT Helpdesk

Library level 3

Monday - Friday 09:00 - 20:50

Saturday 09:00 - 16:50, Sunday 12:00 - 16:50

helpdesk at strath.ac.uk<mailto:helpdesk at strath.ac.uk>

Telephone: X4000 (option 1)
http://www.strath.ac.uk/ithelpdesk/