[myplace-announce] Assignment submissions appear to be missing from bulk zip download

Sue Barnes sue.barnes at strath.ac.uk
Thu Apr 4 13:06:43 BST 2013

Hi all
Some users have identified that some assignment submissions appear to be missing from bulk zipped download from the Strathclyde assignment in Myplace. We have identified that this is due to the fact that the Windows Explorer Zip tool simply ignores (doesn't display) any filenames that include invalid Windows file name characters (  / \ : * ? " < > | ) or files that end with a ".". In other words all the submissions are included in the downloaded zipped folder but cannot be viewed using the default Windows explorer tool. This is also an issue with the other assignment types. Although this is a Windows issue the developers at Moodle HQ are looking into ways that this could be worked around.

In the meantime, we recommend that 7-Zip is used to extract the files from the compressed/zipped folder after download. Other unzipping software can also be used. For example, WinZip which displays an error message if the file names contain invalid characters (See image below).
For more information view our support article at http://support.myplace.strath.ac.uk/?post_type=article&p=2421#<http://support.myplace.strath.ac.uk/?post_type=article&p=2421> or email us on learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk<mailto:learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk>
Cheers
Sue

[cid:image005.png at 01CE3135.40B7AD10]

Dr Sue Barnes

Learning Technology Advisor: Education Enhancement: University of Strathclyde GH222b, 40 George Street G1 1QE
0141 548 3673
learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk<mailto:learning-technologies at strath.ac.uk>
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CE3133.AC18C280]                                          [cid:image006.png at 01CE3135.40B7AD10] <../../../../Dhttps:/moss.strath.ac.uk/eduportal/events/Pages/Engage at Strathclyde-April2013.aspxocuments/Add-in%20Express>
The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263