[esp-r] Air flow network simulation without building and plant

Clodoaldo Carvalho Filho clodoaldo at ufc.br
Sun Oct 1 20:54:49 BST 2023

Hi you all,

I need to configure and simulate a simple supply ventilation system. The
system has a fan connected to the zone by a supply grill (local pressure
loss), and the zone is connected to Exhaust by an exhaust grill (another
local pressure loss).

I am trying to do it in ESP-r, but I am experiencing some difficulty
configuring the air flow network (afn) in enet and simulating it without
building and plant in mfs. The afn has 4 nodes, 3 components and 6
connections (config file attached).

enet crashes every time I try to change "i cross-sectional area (m^2)" in
X11 interface and returns the following:

At line 221 of file netwedit.F
Fortran runtime error: End of record

Error termination. Backtrace:
#0  0x7fc546e23960 in ???
#1  0x7fc546e244d9 in ???
#2  0x7fc546e2510f in ???
#3  0x7fc547077360 in ???
#4  0x7fc54708422c in ???
#5  0x7fc54707ab84 in ???
#6  0x7fc54707ae05 in ???
#7  0x562913fcb789 in ???
#8  0x562913f7a360 in ???
#9  0x562913f5a7be in ???
#10  0x7fc546a29d8f in __libc_start_call_main
at ../sysdeps/nptl/libc_start_call_main.h:58
#11  0appreciatedx7fc546a29e3f in __libc_start_main_impl
at ../csu/libc-start.c:392
#12  0x562913f5a8a4 in ???
#13  0xffffffffffffffff in ???

I am not sure the afn configuration is consistent with what mfs needs to
run ok. The pressures calculated at the internal nodes are zero and mass
flows at connections have different values (one of them is zero) when it
should be equal. Why?

Is there an example of a mass flow network without building and plant in
ESP-r training directory?

I am using the Network tool of ESP-r V13.3.16 of 1 June 2023, built on

  Platform -         x86_64:Linux:6.2.0-33-generic
  Compilers -        gcc/g++/gfortran
  Graphics library - X11
  XML output -       Supported

Any clue to help me succeed in simulating this afn will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Clodoaldo.

*Prof. Clodoaldo de O. Carvalho Filho, Dr.*
Universidade Federal do Ceará
Depto. de Engenharia Mecânica
Lab. de Eficiência Energética no Conforto Ambiental - Coordenador
ASHRAE Fortaleza Student Branch - Advisor