[esp-r] Going off-piste on early stage environmental control explorations

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 09:20:32 GMT 2023

I am a firm believer in the use of limited attribute environmental control descriptions to explore patterns of performance prior to a heavy investment in model detail. Can a room be comfortable with a controller which includes a 10 minute rest in its duty cycle?  Would multiple stages of heating provide better control at a lower running cost?  Commissioning is indicating that there are serious offsets in how the thermostats are tracking temperatures - none of these need wait for the detail stage.

I have created another video which starts with matching the simulation time step better to the ‘sense of time’ of the control logic (what could possibly go wrong with a sticky ON-OFF controller?)  And once that is dialled-in I look at controllers matched to the foibles of particular control regimes and see how they can be used to answer some of these early-stage questions.

Might make a good background resource for workshops or classes as well as checking reminding ourselves that 'just because it didn't crash... it does not signal that it is a good rendition of control X'....

https://youtu.be/w8ECqcVtFDA

Feedback appreciated on this as well as other videos in the series....

-Jon