[esp-r] a download-from-github and install script for ESP-r - testers requested.

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 14:57:26 GMT 2017

Hello all,

Getting a coherent source distribution of ESP-r to compile takes
several steps.  Aizaz Samual and I have written a bash script that
automates the process that does all the git cloning and rsyncing
of folders.  Currently it takes the Master from github. I have
tested it on a couple of Linux boxes and OSX as
well as within a MSYS2 environment in Windows 10. It detects the
OS and revises the feedback and options depending on which OS
it finds is also checks for a number of common dependencies.

More testing is needed.  If you want to give it a try here are
links to the script. Let me know your suggestions so I can
improve it.  The default is to put the compiled distribution in
/opt/esru on Linux and OSX and C:/ESRU on Windows.

I do not have the facilities to try it on Cygwin
(any volunteers?)  We would hope that it could go in the top level
of the github repository.

The Readme is shown below:

Overview of download_and_install_ESP-r.bash

The script download_and_install_ESP-r.bash automates the
task of grabbing the various ESP-r repositories from github,
assembling them into an ESP-rMaster folder and then, optinally,
running the ESP-r Install script to build and placing the ESP-r
distribution into a standard location for the operating
system you are using.

It tests for a number of dependencies e.g. compilers and
a git client. It should work on most Linux distributions
as well as OSX and the MSYS2 environment on Windows (but
the git command line agent is not so rubust within MSYS2).

It is suggested that you create a folder and place the
script in it and this is where lots of temporary folders
will be created as well as a persistent ESP-rMaster folder.

You may need to make the script executable to use it and
for Linux and OSX you will need to run it with sudo.

Regards, Jon Hand

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17785121/ESPr_Installers/readme_download_and_install_ESP-r.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17785121/ESPr_Installers/download_and_install_ESP-r.bash

and for a MSYS2 build the following gets the needed dll files into the bin folder.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17785121/ESPr_Installers/copy_dll_to_c_esru_esp-r_bin.bash