[esp-r] Re: Blower door test

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 9 12:11:43 GMT 2016

A question about a virtual blower door model.  There are two general
approaches.  Both assume that you have distributed mass flow cracks around the
facade and have openings between rooms:

a) Set all internal zones to fixed 50 Pa and boundary notes to fixed 0 Pa.
    This assumes that a blower door test raises the internal pressure to
    50 Pa uni-formally in all zones.

b) Don't bother setting specific pressures at boundary nodes or
zone nodes except at the single boundary node that represents the blower door - it
should be a fixed pressure 50 Pa.

To explore the impact of cracks some people create a simple mode with
one zone with volume equal to the whole building and then add crack components
around the facade surfaces and ensure that the blower door is represented
as a fixed pressure.  Run this and see what the reported flow is. Adjust the
length or width of the cracks and run again until it is close to the blower test.

Regards, Jon Hand