[esp-r] Re: recovery options for when you overwrite files....

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 12:13:40 BST 2015

The comment.....

I could load the constrdb-file, but it was empty. At that point I realized what happened. In the db maintenance menu, if I select the constructions db, there is a menu item "create new constructions". I must have clicked that, assuming that it would lead to a dialogue to create a new construction. Instead, what this does, is obviously creating a new (empty) constructions file, overwriting the existing one. I did not realize this immediately, as the information was still within the .con files of each zone. The problem showed up finally when I got the message indicating outdated file-formats, proposing to re-build the files from the constructions db - where these constructions did not exist any more.

is a reminder to keep backup copies of your model as you progress so that if you overwrite something
you have a chance to get it back.  All operating systems provide options for creating archival files. On
Windows there are zip files (typically right click on the folder) and on Linux OSX there is tar as well as
gzip.