[esp-r] Re: CFD - bouyancy modelling has no effect?

Aizaz Samuel aizaz.a.samuel at strath.ac.uk
Thu Mar 27 12:23:18 GMT 2014

Andrew,

I ran the CFD exemplar with and without buoyancy and found differences in the results.

The dfd file used is room.dfd available within the air movement exemplar set. The module tested is dfs.

I first ran the dfd file without modification (no buoyancy) and then extracted the monitored cell information (*mon file) from within dfs by choosing to not delete temporary files when dfs exits.

I then changed the buoyancy line in the dfd file from "0" to "1 0.5" (1 sets the buoyancy calculation flag and 0.5 is the default under-relaxation) Then I ran the model through dfs again and extracted the mon file.

The two mon files are different which implies the overall solution is different. Furthermore because dfs supplies results to bps during all conflation methods, bps based simulations will be different.

Regards,
Aizaz