[esp-r] Re: Esp-r and Cfd

Andrew Cowie cn06arc at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jan 28 12:20:39 GMT 2014

Hi Kostas,

The CFD in ESP-r will simulate any zone that you can viably model.  Normally this would be an internal zone, however with appropriate boundary conditions I'm sure you could model external air-flow in a localised area, though you would need some pretty concrete validation for such a model.

Also, CFD modelling of internal zones can be conflated with external air-flow by use of an air-flow network; this would simulate wind pressures at openings and hence calculate appropriate supply rates.

From my personal experience, the CFD in ESP-r is excellent if you want to conflate the CFD with other modelling domains, such as inter-zonal air-flow and dynamic thermal simulation of the building fabric.  However, the boundary condition and gridding functionality of ESP-r's CFD is rather less extensive and flexible than FOAM-based dedicated CFD programs. So if you're just wanting to simulate some air-flow, I'd go with OpenFoam. If you're wanting to conflate your CFD with other elements of building simulation, I would recommend at least trying ESP-r.

Hope this helps,
Andy Cowie

Sent from my HTC