[esp-r] Radiance coupling and control of BSDF shadings

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Fri May 10 15:07:00 BST 2013

Dear everyone,

I am thinking on coupling Radiance with ESPr using the Three-phase method.
The plan is simple: Make a detailed simulation on Radiance, and create a
schedule of artificial lighting power (energy consumption / internal gains)
and, somehow, shading control.

On the lighting power part, I was thinking on creating a Zonal Casual Gain
File, that will account for the internal gains generated by the lighting. Is
this valid? should it be just convective? radiative?

On the other hand... in a recent e-mail I was told that ESPr can use
Bidirectional Information (probably extracted from LBNLs WINDOW software)
to make simulations; but, since a big advantage of the Three-phase method
is to allow easy control, I was wondering if it was possible to, on each
timestep, modify the BSDF information (accounting, for example, opening or
closing blinds) on ESPr.

Anyway... consider this an open topic, and please feel free to comment. I
know I am not the only one who has thought about these topics, so you
experiences will be very welcomed.

THANKS VERY MUCH

German