[esp-r] Re: Regarding thermal and optical properties of construction materials

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed May 8 12:29:19 BST 2013

The issue of paint mentioned below.  There are several examples of applying paint or a coating
to materials. - there are several types of concrete which are identical except for
the surface properties  - white painted and stone colour.  Or Steel and Beige painted steel and White painted steel.

This approach is based on the assumption that the thin layer only makes a tiny impact on the conductivity
density and specific heat of the material.

I would advise against treating a paint layer as transparent.  Seems overly complex and
getting the optical data would be a challenge.

Surface solar absorption and emissivity is sometimes based on approximate information in
the literature of building simulation.  It is possible to measure, few people do this.

Regards, Jon Hand