[esp-r] Re: Calculation of solar gains through complex shading devices

Germán Molina Larrain gmolina1 at uc.cl
Tue May 7 14:51:30 BST 2013

BSDFs can be generated using WINDOW, and I evaluated using Radiance's
genBSDF to generate Solar Bidirectional Information (compared the results
with the analytical models done inside WINDOW 6.0 and over). Nowadays, the
BSDFs come in a standard (probably still evolving) .xml file, and I thinkg
E+ format is very simple (I saw one once, but very quickly).

On the other hand, how does ESPr use Radiance or the Lighting calculations?
Making an annual simulation may take a really long time.

The reason why I chose the Three-phase method is because it allows "easy"
control of shading, and a very fast simulation. Also, it allows to change
and evaluate different shading systems. So it is very good for optimization.