[esp-r] Re: Calculation of solar gains through complex shading devices

Germán Molina Larrain gmolina1 at uc.cl
Tue May 7 14:33:29 BST 2013

Hi Achim,

my original idea of workflow was thought on the basis of a straightforward
finide difference simulation (as I have done in Matlab)... so it would be
to make the solar simulations (calculation of solar gains and Daylight),
and then, to make the thermal simulation; knowing the flows to each node
(calculated before).

Now, since you say that ESPr supports BSDF input, maybe the whole thermal
simulation should be done in ESPr, leaving Radiance just for lighting. I
have been working on the generation of the BSDFs, and I think the problem
is practically solved right now, using tools that already exist (I expect I
can publish something related to this). How long do those (BSDFed)
simulations take? I have heard that in E+ they take considerably more time
than the other ones.

As far as I am aware, the three-phase-method and the "coupling" with
EnergyPlus requires two runs? Could you describe the necessary workflow /
calculation steps? Where / in which program is the setting of a Venetian
type blind set, for example? Based on what?

The direct coupling, I was informed, is complicated. But, just as in ESPr,
E+ was provided with the capability of using BSDF information in a very
similar way as the Three-phase method does. So everything is actually made
on E+.

Anyway, I guess the best should be to make the lighting simulation,
calculate the electric lighting consumption and transform it into internal
gains for a posterior ESPr simulation, considering BSDFs? Please feel free
to comment.

THANKS VERY MUCH

German