[esp-r] Getting your ideas embedded within ESP-r!

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 14:19:23 GMT 2013

Support for getting your ideas embedded within ESP-r

ESP-r exists in a community of developers and an idea that working
together we leverage individual contributions. Contributions
are at every imaginable scale from improving the phrasing
of help messages, correcting spelling mistakes, adding new
reporting features as well as implementing new methods or
identifying and correcting glitches so that others do not
have to suffer such irritants.

This is a reminder for those of you who have not recently
contributed to ESP-r that there are a number of forms of
support for source code management and testing.  We really
do want contributions from students and researchers as
well as the usual crowd.

ESP-r evolves, sometimes several times in a week based on
folk sharing via a process that identifes unintended
consequences of contributions before they have
an impact on the work of others in the user and development
community.

The process is multi-step and while it is somewhat pedantic
it is learn-able and it is documented. There are ways of
managing code changes and using the source code control that
make the task of the archivist (Ian Beausoleil-Morrison) more
straightforward. There are also simple steps you can take to
simplify your processes and reduce confusion for yourself and others.

The links to the captioned video tutorials below can be viewed
in conjunction with sections 8 and 10 of the Developers Guide (also linked).
If in doubt, check these out.  If you think you are a bit rusty, use these
to walk-through a simple contribution to refresh your skills.

And of course we can improve the videos and documents so
suggestions are welcome.

Regards, Jon Hand

Here are some useful links:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17785121/video_tutorials/svn_merge_from_dev.mp4