[esp-r] Re: Complex Geometry Input: Optimized Approach

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 13:54:27 GMT 2013

ESP-r includes its own CAD functions, it is possible to input the scale of complexity
that you describe via the in-built interface.  If you were working with the 'X11' interface
you could take a bitmap image of the plan of the house and use the click-on-bitmap
faciility.

The Ecotect export facility (unless it has changed) writes to an ancient version of ESP-r.
You do not mention which version of Ecotect you are using.  It might be that someone
in the community might have had experience working with an exported Ecotect model.

Realistically, going through multiple tools just to compose geometry seems like lots of places for the
process to break down and entities to be mis-interpreted.

I can imagine some roof forms which would be tedious to create - a geodesic dome or a
hyperbolic paraboloid would be examples. Windows - they are just polygons which have
additional attributes which let short-wave radiation pass.  Rectangular windows are not
much of a hassle, approximating a round window would take longer.  The main issue
is trying to put more than a couple of windows within a single wall.  Much better to subdivide
walls if there are going to be lots of windows in a facade.

Some people adapt to the ESP-r interface, others find it problematic.  I attach a link to
a short video showing the modification of a zone to include a sloped ceiling and some of
the in-built trig functions.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17785121/video_tutorials/geometry_transforms_wc.mp4

Could you be more specific about the phrase 'I am unable to make satisfactory use of the Cookbook'
Do you need more detail or less detail?  Does it miss some topics that are of interest?

I can send you links to other video tutorials about materials and constructions and
air flow networks if requested.

Also - it is polite to you give your name when requesting help. Tell us a bit about
what goals you have for your simulation model.  It might be possible that you do not
need to represent all 10 zones or you might need more zones to make a model that
is fit-for-purpose.

-Regards, Jon Hand, ESRU