[esp-r] ESP-r running on a RaspberryPi

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 18:58:31 GMT 2012

Just for holiday cheer I was given a RaspberryPi single-board computer (700Mhz ARM
chip with 512MB RAM ~4W).  It is running a constrained version of Debian so what-the-heck....

I basically followed the standard recipe for setting up a Ubuntu computer (using apt-get)
and was able to (slowly) compile in pure-text (and with a few tweaks to the Install script)
in both the GTK and X11 interfaces.  Smaller executables such as clm pop-up and do
their stuff!  Imagine, a bit bigger than a match-box....

The bigger beasties don't really start - probably because of memory requirements
(some stuff to learn about memory managment).  It might be possible to revise
the header files in the install folder to constrain the executable size but for an
afternoons work to get something working on a new chip architecture is rather
nice.

Regards, Jon Hand