[esp-r] Re: climate module and climate files

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Mon Dec 17 19:47:19 GMT 2012

Hi Ariana

if you have a .csv (which means "comma separated value") file, then you are practically "there". Now simply generate a file with a text editor (Notepad+ or the like), insert a file header (without the "==", of course):

==
*CLIMATE
# ascii climate file,
# defined in: LDSY_Arup.a
# col 1: Diffuse solar on the horizontal (W/m**2)
# col 2: External dry bulb temperature   (Tenths DEG.C)
# col 3: Direct normal solar intensity   (W/m**2)
# col 4: Prevailing wind speed           (Tenths m/s)
# col 5: Wind direction     (clockwise deg from north)
# col 6: Relative humidity               (Percent)
<<site name>>  # site name
 1998,51.30,7.39,0,   # year latitude long_diff rad_flag
 1,365,    # period (julian days)
==

edit the year, lat / long values and check what kind of radiation data you have (somewhere in the documentation you will need to find out which switch setting (rad_flag) is correct and then append your data (comma separated values, 8760 lines).

You can convert this file into a binary climate file via

==
Question:

How do I import an ascii text ESP-r climate file that someone sent me and make a binary ESP-r climate file?

Answer:

1.     Change to the folder where the ascii file is.

2.     Decide on what the name of the binary file you want to create. For this example, assume the file name is bolzano (clm –file bolzano). Make sure that no file by that name already exists in the folder. Start the climate module with the following command:
clm -file bolzano

3.     The editing box will show the name bolzano and you click ok. The text feedback will say opened new climate file.

4.     choose “import text file”

5.     Select option "import data from ASCII file".

The dialog will say "import data inclusive of 1 jan to 31 dec" and you click on 'yes'.

6.     The edit box now asks for the ascii climate file and you type in the name of your ascii file and then click on ok.

7.     The edit box will now say "update site info as well" and you click 'yes' or “no” (files exportet from Meteornom require a “no”).

8.     The edit box will ask if the file has day demarcation lines and you say 'yes'.

9.     The next thing you will see is the menu. To test the import of data, select graphical analysis and then select January. Then select db temperature and draw a graph to display the data.

10.  Exit from the clm module. You will now have a binary climate file which you can associate with your model.

==

achim.geissler at intergga.ch