[esp-r] Re: draft layout of common constructions file format

olivier bounhoure olivier.bounhoure at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 16:14:50 BST 2012

Dear Jon, dear ESP-r community,

As I use ESP-r more and more I found some of the limitations of the
fileformats in my way. Naming constraints is
one of them so I really enjoy the idea of phrase naming.
I have a few points to suggest about the rest of the format:
[Disclaimer: I have not evaluated the consequences of my suggestions in
terms of code change requirements,
yet. They are just wishes from a user point of view.]
- If wee choose comas as a field separator for names, what about sticking
with it and use it for every fields?
  Using the quite common "leading and trailing blanks strip" would allow
users to arrange the file as columns if
  they wish. Last but not least I guess it could make the parser simpler.
- Now that wee have opening and closing tags for the class (*class,
*endclass), wee do not need to put the
  number of items anymore. It is kind of a redundance with the item tags in
between.
- I like your idea of giving *outer and *inner attributes for passing to
Radiance. What about giving a Radiance
  "modifier" instead of RGB values? It would allow any
color/pattern/texture/... available for Radiance to be used
  by the MLC database.

I have two questions, though:
1) What is the "1  # number of classifications" for? I guess the "*end" is
related but I do not see the point.
2) Is there still a need for class indices? If names (phrase names?) are
enough to sort items out and write the file,
    removing class indices would make it coherent with the new MLC way.

I hope those comments will help.
Best regards,
Olivier Bounhoure

PS : feedback about my English will be wellcome, too :)

The modifications I suggest from Jon's file:
---
*Constructions, 2
*date, Sat Jun 23 12:15:16 2012
# construction defined in ./multicon.dba
# based on materials ./material.db3.a
*doc,  ESP-r MLC Constructions including required materials for UK code
complience. Additional infomation and documentation uses standard
assumptions which should be updated as required.
1  # number of classifications
#
# Constructions have the following attributes:
# *item, name (phrase up to 32 char), documentation (remainder of the line)
# *attrib, optical name (up to 32 char), key phrase SYMMETRIC or
NONSYMMETRIC or another MLC name
# *layer, thickness (m) material name (up to 32 char), material
documentation (remainder of the line)
# *gap, thickness (m), 3 or 5 comma separated resistance values, name
(remainder of the line)
# *enditem
#
# *class, class index, description (32 char)
# followed by a line of class documentation
# *endclass  signals the end of the class of constructions
#
*class, 1, Walls
Class ( 1) Exterior walls includes a range of constructions. Based on data
traditionally distributed with ESP-r.
#
*item,   extern_wall, older brick block external wall
*attrib,      OPAQUE, NONSYMMETRIC
*layer,       0.1000, Lt brown brick, Light brown brick
*layer,       0.0750, glasswool, Glasswool (generic)
*gap,         0.0500, 0.170, 0.170, 0.170, air
*layer,       0.1000, breeze block, Breeze block
*enditem
*item,   insulated metal panel, insulated metal panel achieving U 0.46
*attrib,      OPAQUE, NONSYMMETRIC
*layer,       0.0040, grey cotd alum, Grey coated aluminium
*layer,       0.0800, glass fibre quilt, Glass Fibre Quilt
*layer,       0.0040, wt cotd alum, White coated aluminium
*enditem
*item,   Wall_NI_noti, Northern Ireland Notional wall for UK code
*attrib       OPAQUE, NONSYMMETRIC
# mat ref thickness (m) mat descr & air gap R
*layer,       0.1020, Brick outer leaf, Brick (UK code)
*layer,       0.0900, Mineral wool batt 100mm, Insulation (Mineral wool
batt default 100mm)
*layer,       0.1000, Concrete med density (1800), Blockwork (UK code)
*gap,         0.0220, 0.180, 0.180, 0.180, air
*layer,       0.0130, Plasterboard (UK code), Plasterboard (UK code)
*enditem
*item,   AWI_06 IBO, Wall type AWI_06 from the IBO reference manual
*atrib,       OPAQUE, NONSYMMETRIC
*layer,       0.0250, weatherboard, Weatherboard (source does not clarify
what it is)
*gap,         0.0500, 0.050, 0.050, 0.050, air
*layer,       0.0160, MDF, MDF based on info in IBO PassivHaus (diffusion
is a guess)
*layer,       0.1000, celulose fiber flakes, cellulose fibre insulation
flakes from IBO Pass
*layer,       0.1000, celulose fiber flakes, cellulose fibre insulation
flakes from IBO Pass
*layer,       0.1000, celulose fiber flakes, cellulose fibre insulation
flakes from IBO Pass
*layer,       0.0180, OSB, OSB wood based on the SBEM database
*layer,       0.0500, lambswool felt insulation, lambswool insulation felt
from IBO PassivHa
*layer,       0.0250, white gypboard, White paintedd Gypboard
*enditem
*endclass
#
*class, 2, Partitions & doors
Class ( 2) Internal partitions and doors. Based on data traditionally
distributed with ESP-r.
*item, intern_wall, Plaster board over concrete block partition
*attrib,     OPAQUE, SYMMETRIC
# mat ref thickness (m) mat descr & air gap R
*layer,      0.0120, perlite plasterboard, Perlite plasterboard
*layer,      0.1500, breeze block, Breeze block
*layer,      0.0120, perlite plasterboard, Perlite plasterboard
*enditem
*item, door, Solid Oak door
*attrib,     OPAQUE, SYMMETRIC
*layer,      0.0250, oak, Oak (radial cut)
*enditem
*endclass
#
*class, 3, Glazing
Class ( 3) A variety of glazing products which are matched to optical
properties.
*item, double_glazing, 6mm uncoated inner and outer glass with air fill
*attrib,     DCF7671_06nb, SYMMETRIC
# mat ref thickness (m) mat descr & air gap R
*layer,      0.0060, plate glass, Plate glass with placeholder single layer
optics
*gap,        0.0120, 0.170, 0.170, 0.170, air
*layer,      0.0060, plate glass, Plate glass with placeholder single layer
optics
*enditem
*item, fictitious, almost-not-there construction used between zones
*attrib,     SC_fictit, SYMMETRIC
*layer,      0.0040, fict, fictitious material (almost not there) with
matching single laye
*enditem
*item, tripglz_1.8, non-coated tripple glazing with air spaces
*attrib,     trip_glz_18, SYMMETRIC
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*gap,        0.0120, 0.170, 0.170, 0.170, air
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*gap,        0.0120, 0.170, 0.170, 0.170, air
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*enditem
*item, tripglz_1.08, low-e coated tripple glazing with air spaces
*attrib,     trip_gl_kai, NONSYMMETRIC
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*gap,        0.0120, 0.367, 0.367, 0.367, low-e and air
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*gap,        0.0120, 0.371, 0.371, 0.371, low-e and air
*layer,      0.0060, clear float, 4mm clear float glass with optics from UK
national method
*enditem
*endclass
*end