[esp-r] a note about using DXF file to populate an ESP-r model

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 17:31:47 BST 2012

A user had an issue with importing a DXF file (the DXF file was exported from
an existing ESP-r model so it should be directly readable).

I was emailed the DXF file.  I worked on a Linux computer with ESP-r. The process
would be the same with OSX or with the Cygwin version of ESP-r running on
a Window machine.  Native Windows ESP-r should be about the same steps
except there is no command line to use on Native Windows.

Here is the process:
a) startup the ESP-r project manager and ask to create a new model. This will create
a folder structure and a few model files.
b) exit from the project manager and use the operating system to go into the
  cfg folder of the new model and then RESTART prj focused on the model *.cfg
  file that had just been created.
c) use the option for importing CAD file, say no to running CAD tool and
   then provide the full path to the DXF file.
d) the model should display. You can then add in the attribution to this
  model.

Note: before importing the model to get extra debug information you
could toggle the reporting from silent to verbose.

DXF files created by CAD tools might not follow the conventions needed
by ESP-r.  For example, many CAD drawings are 99% block or solid
entities which ESP-r cannot deal with (yet)

Regards, Jon Hand