[esp-r] Re: Results Module, pre-scanning results databases

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu May 24 06:54:25 BST 2012

The speed of results recovery is a function of the available memory in the computer
and how 'fresh' the results file is.  If a simulation has just been run and there is more
memory available than the size of the results file then the scanning task will
use the data in the memory buffer rather than going to disk.

I have worked with results files ~2GB with a machine with 3GB of memory and
the pre-scan might take 5 minutes but if it the results file was from an earlier
session the time grew.

I have code that detects likely long pre-scans and skips the pre-scan but that
has yet to get into the development_branch.

For now the easiest fix is to ensure that you have a significant block of
free memory when you start simulation / results recovery tasks.