[esp-r] Re: modelling solar shading devices

Lomanowski, Bartosz Bartosz.Lomanowski at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Sep 29 18:00:41 BST 2011

Hi Leen,

Using Complex Fenestration Constructions (CFCs) may be a good option for you, especially if you're not concerned with daylighting. For a quick user's guide on implementing CFCs in an ESP-r model, see Appendix F in my thesis:

http://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/10012/4164/1/Lomanowski_Bartosz.pdf <http://uwspace.uwaterloo.ca/bitstream/10012/4164/1/Lomanowski_Bartosz.pdf>

You can download the glazing/shading layer editor GSLedit, here:

http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/Downloads/downloads.htm <http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/Downloads/downloads.htm>

Control of CFCs is managed through the usual ESP-r control domain interface in prj, and hopefully you will find the available sensors to be sufficient for your application.

Regards,
Bart

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:23:37 +0200
From: Geissler Achim <achim.geissler at fhnw.ch>
Subject: [esp-r] Re: modelling solar shading devices
To: leen peeters <l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com>, "esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk"
        <esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk>

Hi Leen

a very interesting question. Assuming you checked the available options in the control menu, then it is likely that it is not possible "out of the box". If the individual sensors you need are available, it may be possible by setting up a "nested control" (which I have never used, but would like to know more about), though. Did you check the CookBook?

Otherwise, you will need to add such an option via coding it yourself. Depending on further interests in your study, you may want to contemplate using the 'Complex Fenestration Constructions' (CFC). These have many benefits in regard to systems of glazing and solar shading. Also, adding control features is comparatively straightforward for CFCs.

Hopefully, someone else on the list can give you more help.