[esp-r] Re: question for ESP-r+Radiance users

glbrune at polimi.it glbrune at polimi.it
Sat Sep 17 11:09:43 BST 2011

Def. Quota "Lars O. Grobe" <grobe at gmx.net>:

> Hi Gian Luca!

Hi Lars!

> Are you sure that you want to measure the radiance at a point, not
> the irradiance?

I aim to the illuminance, but if I am able to get the radiance then I
will be able to get the irradiance, luminance and illuminance. I just
didn't want to get stuck in the fundamental operation.

> A rough idea, yes ;-) Type "rtrace -defaults", and you get the
> default settings of the rtrace command, which will be appiled unless
> you specify others on the command line.
>
> One of these settings is "-ab 0". This means, that only direct light
> from light sources will be considered. No light reflected from other
> surfaces, and also no light from glow-objects. So, if you have a
> sunny sky, and your sensor is located outside, it will receive light
> from the sun with -ab 0, but not from the remaining hemisphere which
> is typically defined as glow. And if it inside, it will receive any
> light unless it can directly see the sun.
>
> I would recommend Axel Jacob's Radiance tutorial as a start:
>
> http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/documentation/index.shtml

It is very interesting indeed, as Axel Jacob's Cookbook.

> There are also some strategies described how to optimize
> calculations avoiding too high -ab values, which slow down the
> process (such as mkillum).

I am presently using "-ab 0.2" as a setting.

> And there has been a lot of development during the last year
> especially in fenestration,

That's good news. Anyway, I'd like to keep the procedures as
lightweight as I can.

> a look at the last workshop's slides at radiance-online.org may be useful.

Definitely.

> Cheers, Lars.