[esp-r] question for ESP-r+Radiance users

Gian Luca Brunetti gianluca.brunetti at polimi.it
Thu Sep 15 09:56:31 BST 2011

Dear list,
I am trying to measure the radiance  at a point in a scene with Radiance
with the command "rtrace", but I always get values "0" if the given
point is inside a zone. I get  values > 0 only if the point is outside
the building.

This happens with every model I have tried. For each of them, an .oct
file had been created and tested with an interior rendering.

Here I take as an example the case "bld_simple.cfg" in the Esp-r's
simple exemplars.

Now I enter the Esp-r Radiance Desktop and let as usual Esp-r do the
work for me with Radiance, obtaining a scene prepared for an interior
rendering, and thus also a working .oct file.

Then I issue in bash the following command to test the radiance of a
sensor positioned at coordinates 8, 5, 1.5 (thus, inside the room)
looking upwards (0 0 1):

      echo 8 5 1.5 0 0 1 | rtrace  reception_Intern.oct

and I obtain the following result:

      0.000000e+00    0.000000e+00    0.000000e+00

But if I now place the point outside the room, say at position 10, 5,
1.5, I obtain:

      9.416492e+00    9.416492e+00    1.147933e+01

Does anybody have an idea of why is this?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Gian Luca Brunetti

Politecnico di Milano