[esp-r] Re: graphical interface problem

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 02:10:42 BST 2011

Graph windows 'flickering' might be an issue isolated for your computer.  10.04
Ubuntu on several machines we have tested does not display this problem.
Sometimes the advent of strange behaviour is related to old library files
and can be corrected if a make clean is issued followed by a full fresh compile
of ESP-r.

The in-built capture option button - calls an external application to do the actual capture
work.  The name of the external application is found in the .esprc file
located in your home folder or in the esprc file located with the ESP-r
distribution e.g. /usr/esru/esp-r/esprc  look for the *gprn line.  Typically
this uses an application called 'import' which is part of the ImageMagic
tool set.  We have noticed some computers the external application is
not invoked correctly or only saves a small section of the screen.

The suggested approach for image capture on Linux is to directly invoke
a screen capture tool from the command line - this gives you much more
control than the in-built ESP-r facility.