[esp-r] Re: solar chimney and understand flow patterns

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 22:17:20 BST 2011

The positive and negative sign on the flow provides information on the direction of the
flow - if you defined a connection from node A to node B then a positive flow is flow
along the same direction as the connection was defined.  I tend to define connections
to the outside via the outside node to the inside node so that flows entering the zone
are positive and flows leaving the room are negative.

The ventilation and infiltration reporting of energy is, essentially the energy transfer
implied by the movement of mass between the inside and outside (infiltration) or
between two zones (ventilation) taking into account the temperature difference and
the mass flow rate.  cool air entering a room alters the zone energy balance and
can be a negative flux.  If you graph or list out the individual components of the zone
energy balance on a timestep basis then a pattern might be observed.

Flow into a zone shows up in the ventilation and infiltration reporting.
Flow out of a room is noticed in the 'other' zone.

Flow in a solar chimney might, in fact reverse under certain conditions. Buoyancy might be
a weak driving force in comparison to pressure elsewhere.

One hint - you can turn on trace of the network flow solution and that will dump out
all of the flows and pressures at each timestep and sometimes it is easier to detect
patterns of flow in that form than looking at the individual flow rates via the results
analysis module.