[esp-r] Re: simulation

Achim.geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Mon Jan 3 11:57:00 GMT 2011

  Hi Arianna     here some ideas and thoughts to your questions below.     >
I have started a new model for the houses I am retrofitting. I need to  >
know heating and cooling load (overheating risk) as well as delivered  >
energy (comprising hot water and electricity) and primary energy (if  >
possible) for the houses as they are before the retrofitting. The model  >
works and I am starting to run the first simulations, and I have a few  >
questions. Do I need to establish an ideal control loop in order to  > know
> what the heating load is with ESP? Is there a way with ESP-r to  >
establish set points temperature so to have heating and cooling loads  >
without establish a control loop?      As far as I am aware, you need to set
up a simple (building) control loop. An ideal controller for heating and
cooling with appropriate setpoints should suffice, initially. How many zones
do you have? The setup of such a control is fairly straight-forward via the
project manager. Also, most exemplars have at least heating defined.     >
Can I get the heat loss coefficient  > for the building structure
(independent of set point temperature and  > degree days) by simulating the
model on a free float base? If so, is  > there by using the energy balance
function in the res tool?      Not quite clear, what you mean, here. Have
you written (and printed and checked) the QA report available? In this, the
U-values and average UA values for the constructions are given for each
zone. I don't think you can extract the heat loss coefficient by running
the building free-float in any direct way. The heat storage in constructions
will get in the way. If, however, you defined a climate with constant
outside temperature (e.g. 0°C) and an ideal control for the zone(s) (e.g. 20
°C) and ran this to "static" conditions (i.e. no fluctuations of
temperatures in the system), you could then calculate your average UA for
the zone(s).     Best  Achim