[esp-r] "Found surface attribute... ANOTHER" and Changing Names for Constructions

Ian McCall ijmccall at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 14:13:53 BST 2010

Hello ESP-r,

1) I have the following Error Message: "A model with inconsistent surface
topology attributes might fail when simulated. Found surface attribute...
ANOTHER" error message appears when I activate the "simulation".

Background:
I am working with an apartment building (currently 15 zones) designed in ESP-r
11.9 windows native version.

- In the model management option I have loaded a copied version of the
construction database.
- I then deleted unnecessary constructions in the database.
- This change cause many contiguity errors so I used the  “Clear ALL CONTIGUITY”
option and then automatically re-created (several times) all the connection /
contiguity.
- The connections in the "cnn" file looks correct but ESP-r threw up a long list
of many "Duplicates Surfaces <> master list" and problems with the "Zone surface
<> master list" etc...
- So, I went in the individual zones and manually re-re-created the all the
boundaries "surface in another zone" connections / contiguities that ESP-r
automatically created. This manual intervention has eliminated the list of
errors except for the one listed above.

I can run the simulation without any further apparent errors. Any ideas of how
to eliminate this "Found surface attribute... ANOTHER" error? I have looked at
the QA report but I do not see anything that would cause this error.

2) Changing Names for Construction Geometries
- I created a new wall construction of pure concrete called “IntnaWallCav” in
the constructions database. I assigned this construction to the walls in my
model. For some unknown reason when I now exit the respective zone this walls at
times change to a construction called “rete”. There is no item in the
construction database called “rete”. The thermal properties and construction
of “IntnaWallCav” and “rete” are exactly the same. Does ESP-r change the
construction name “IntnaWallCav” to “rete” because “IntnaWallCav” is too long?
 Any other ideas?

Regards,

Ian

Ecole des Mines de Nantes