[esp-r] Modeling HVAC power demand by seconds

Max Epstein mepstein at enertaq.com
Tue Jul 6 20:03:48 BST 2010

Hello, I would like to model commercial building HVAC operation and
especially power demand at a 2-10 second time-step. I read about ESP-r on
eere.energy.gov (US) that: "Building and flow simulations can be undertaken
at frequencies of one minute to one hour and system simulations can be from
fractions of a second to an hour." Does this mean power demand data can be
output/recorded as fast as every 2-10 seconds?

Also, can thermostat setpoint adjustments be made dynamically while the
simulation is running in response to changing building conditions? Or can
many 10second (duration) simulations be strung together and automated with
dynamic thermostat setpoints implemented in between, according to
predetermined logic and evolving building conditions?

I read on ESP-r's capabilities page that modules can be driven by scripts to
automate tasks. Could you please elaborate on that functionality in regards
to the potential for modeling a building with dynamic thermostat setpoint
adjustments every 2-10 seconds, or at least every minute?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks for your time.

Max Epstein