[esp-r] Re: FW: surface fluxes

Debora Faggembauu dfaggembauu at gmail.com
Sun May 16 11:15:55 BST 2010

Dear luckygrass,

I have read your comments on espr-list, sorry I’m not an ESPr user, but what
is necessary to say is if you are considering that the U value has really no
sense on a transient simulation, because external temperatures are varying,
and so the ventilation inside the gap of the double skin. You could in same
way “fool the code” (I don’t know how to do it in espr because I’m not an
user) but if it is possible you could impose constant temperatures (outside
and inside) and obtain the heat flux through the façade, then divide by the
temperature difference, and you”ll get an U value.

Other way, could be, simulating some hours or a day, and postprocessing for
each instant, the heat flux through the façade, dividing by the difference
temperature for that instant. In this way, you will obtain a series of U
values, and you could obtain the mean.

But you”ll see that if you consider night and day, the results of U value
will be disappointing (because the transient conditions impose than during
night and day the results will be different and the mean has no sense) May
be you could try the same calculation, with central hours of a summer and
winter day, and obtain data relevant for you.

I have calculated some U values for double facades, with a transient code,
imposing constant conditions, with the only intention of comparing with
other U values, but I repeat this value has no sense on a transient
simulation.

I hope I could help you.

;-)

Débora Faggembauu