[esp-r] basic controller for dehumidification control

Tobias Zitzmann tobias.zitzmann at ise.fraunhofer.de
Wed May 5 12:05:30 BST 2010

Dear users,

has anybody experiences with the humidification control of the basic
zone controller?

Our model setup: Our test room model is a single zone, contains a fixed
infiltration flow rate and has no internal gains (using opr-file). A
basic zone controller is used for cooling and dehumidification control
(setpoints for dehumidification e.g.: maximum RH 30%, maximum
humidification rate 1g/s). Summer weather conditions of south Germany
are used.

The problem: As a result, the relative humidity target within the room
is always achieved due to dehumidification, although the results
analysis manager output shows dehumidification loads which are
significantly smaller than what would be theoretically expected (from
Mollier-h-x diagram) in order to achieve the RH target.
For testing, we have drastically reduced the maximum dehumidification
rate to 0.1 g/s. Consequently, the RH target is sometimes not achieved
and the maximum dehumidification load output is 0.25 kW (which seems
correct as 1g/s should equal 2.5 kW). However, for this small
dehumidification load, the RH should be much higher than what is
calculated by ESP-r. In other words, the dehumidification load output
does not seem to suit to the calculated RH and is significantly smaller
than it would be expected from h-x diagram for achieving the resulting RH.

The error seems to increase with higher room air changes (see examples
below):

_Example 1_

*Conditions:*
Air change rate of 11.56h-1
Ambient T and RH 18.35°C and 77.5%
Zone T and RH 17.76°C and 30%
*Resulting dehumidification load:*
Theoretical: 2370W
ESP-r output: 360 W
Difference: 86%

_Example 2_

*Conditions:*
Air change rate of 1.0h-1
Ambient T and RH 18.35°C and 77.5%
Zone T and RH 18.0°C and 30%
*Resulting dehumidification load:*
Theoretical: 203W
ESP-r output: 140W
Difference: 32%

Has anybody an idea about this phenomenon? We saw this problem in the
newest version of ESP-r and also in an older version. Any comment is
appreciated.

Regards,

Tobias

--