[esp-r] Re: How about a meeting of the ESP-r community at eSim 2010 in Manitoba in May

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 16:43:04 GMT 2010

Ian and Iain - seems like an evening get-together would
be a good idea.  I have little or no idea what NRCan and
NRC and the Universities in Canada are wanting for future
evolution.

My wish list includes things like...

a) dropping the old geometry file format so that we can move to longer names
for entities and use free-format entries

b) moving to casual gain schedules that support sub-hourly definitions and
include useful information like metabolic rates

c) consolidate several of the utility modules (move viewfactor calcs
into the project manager and merge the micotoxin utility into the
project manager and res).

d) move to directly using the EPW cliamate data file (who needs
random access climate data when we can scan and hold in memory)?

e) rationalize the record format of the results analysis file so that
large models require less space, more data slots for computed
values are available and scanning of results files takes seconds rather
than minutes.

f) add an interface to the XML reporting specifications so that ordinary
people can define useful reporting in the alternative format.

g) move to a graphical definition of flow networks

h) use user supplied attributes of surfaces e.g. Door, undercut crack
to automatically populate flow networks

i) improved export and import to DXF and other simulation tools

j) extensions to the ESP-r META file format (for compact model descriptions)

And there are many more that others might be thinking of and
want to chat with others about.

And eSim 2010 is a good venue for bouncing ideas around.  Lets
hear some more suggestions and get the community talking!

Regards, Jon Hand