[esp-r] Virtual Wind Tunnel for Urban Settings

Maciej Cichy mcarchbud at wp.pl
Thu Feb 11 08:21:10 GMT 2010

Hi,

Could anyone please help and advise, if it  is possible to create a virtual
wind tunnel in ESP-r to investigate wind patterns in urban environment? And
if not, what would be the best software alternative?

I would like to investigate wind energy production potential for various
high rise buildings forms in various urban settings.  This is for a part of
PhD research that focuses on design of 'sustainable' tall buildings.

I've read  few articles by J.A. ClarkeI, I.Beausoleil-Morrison  and P.A.
Strachan (within others) and I browsed through the support group archived
emails. From this I understand that ESP-r does CFD for a single internal
zone connected to an air flow network.

However ESP-r website shows case studies for air contaminant dispersal in
urban environment.

Is this done in such a way  that an urban site is modelled inside a single
zone. And the zone has boundary conditions set up in a specific way?

If the air flow analyses cannot be done in ESP-r general release I thought
about using OpenFoam, if there is already a solver for wind modelling in
urban settings. I've also thought about using DesignBuilder CFD as the last
resort.

Regards

Maciej Cichy