[esp-r] Re: Defining the boundary conditions of the public floor

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 11:41:26 GMT 2010

A question about boundary conditions....

The choice of using a 'similar/dynamic' boundary type or a boundary which is a specific
surface in another room depends on whether you think there might be differences in the
temperatures of the two zones.  The 'similar/dynamic' essentially says if it is hot in my
current room the room on the other side is probably also hot.

If this is not a true statement then you should form the geometry of the model so that the
ceiling and floor surfaces are of similar size and shape and then can be thermally linked.
Remember that each surface can only have one boundary condition and if a ceiling
in one room is geometrically associated with two rooms in the level above then the
ceiling will need to be defined as two separate surfaces.

-ESRU