[esp-r] Re: Problem with ESP-r 's display on Solaris

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 8 11:34:22 GMT 2010

There is an issue with 64 bit Solaris when the Fortran and C are passing
messages back and forth.  The width of the menu is getting corrupted.

Work-around is to run in text mode (e.g. prj -mode text).

A 2nd work-around is to force the compile process to be 32 bit.  I do
not remember the specific command (in GCC it is -m32).

Solaris as a virtual box on a 32 bit machine does not seem to
be sensitive to this.

There are a number of issues about 64 bit Solaris which need
to be addressed just as there are 64 bit issues for Enterprise
Linux versions.  These are being dealt with a bit at a time
(frustrating for users and for me) because Solaris has just
about the best debug environment for numerical errors.