[esp-r] Re: Control and output of hvac

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 11:53:22 BST 2009

It is possible to take advantage of the open source nature of
ESP-r and add in your own controller into the source code and
of course, once you are satisfied with the new functions you
can share your improvements with others in the ESP-r community.

You did not specify whether you wanted to impose a new kind of
control for a detailed component in a plant network or whether
you wanted to introduce a new ideal zone control.  Either
option can be implemented within the source code AND you
will need to do some background research in order to
make the source code changes.

First, go to the ESRU web site and the download page
for ESP-r and locate the developers guide.  This provides
a number of hints for working with the source code
of ESP-r.  You will want to check out the ESP-r source
development_barnch using Subversion (the current
repository is:  https://espr.svn.cvsdude.com/esp-r/branches/develoment_branch)

While you are on the web site get a copy of the current
ESP-r cookbook and review it.  There are also many exemplar
models which can be run and you can then use the results
analysis module to look at graphs or tables etc. of performance
from these models.

You second task is to carefully describe in as much detail as
possible  (in a form that can be emailed) the control which you
would like to implement.  What does it sense, what does
it act on, what logic is releated to the control.  Tell us more
about the iteration that you think is required. Send that out
to the list to see if others might have an intereste in working
with you or have advise to offer.

It might be possible to make limited changes in an existing
controller to do what you want.  Spend some time looking
at the existing controls in the exemplars as well as the
description of controls in the Cookbook.